Thursday, February 24, 2011

Talking to A Student - Very Interesting

I was talking to a student in our SAP class and he was talking to me about student mentality and what he was feeling about our program.

We trained him from November.  He was in SAP class for 1 1/2 months and then he was in SAP Premium for another 30 days.  His resume was ready 1 week later and then we started marketing him.

He was telling me how Indian kids from India think, and how they react to news (I was talking to him about recruiting more students for our next SAP classes).  He said that there was a kid in his college and he would not attend his classes regularly and would work in gas stations and other odd jobs and was generally not that dedicated to studying, but a company took him, trained him for 2 weeks, and then got him a job in JAVA all within 2 weeks.

There is no way this kid could have been properly trained with the ability to do any justice to work in JAVA.  JAVA is so vast and so complicated, it takes a minimum of 2 months with proper practice to really learn JAVA and that too is only if the student is bright.  But because of that news a bunch of students from his college went and joined him.  Students do not look at the long term and knowledge, they care about the now and then, and all they cared about was getting into a job as quickly as possible.

I am sure that kid got the job only because they have a manager under their control and that person was able to manipulate things inside the recruiting process.

Here is one thing I promise you.  I will not do that.  I will only release a resume into the market place when the student is absolutely ready and capable of doing the job they will be applying for.

Maybe the length of my training in SAP of 2 1/2 months is too long for students but I will guarantee you that my students will be supremely confident about their ability by the time they finish with our training.   They will have excellent knowledge in the subject we teach them.

I want to build a place that will stand the test of time.  I want to keep improving with our quality initiatives.  I want VXL to be a place that people will be proud to join, because of our success and the quality we offer.

I will keep my system intact and take the students that understand what long term success is about and want to build a career and not just get a job at any cost.