Tuesday, February 24, 2015

USCIS allows certain H4 dependent spouses to seek Employment authorization

THE BIG NEWS - USCIS allows certain H4 dependent spouses to seek Employment authorization after May 25, 2015

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has today announced that  effective May 26, 2015, they will allow  certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants to obtain EAD – Employment authorization.
Eligible H-4 dependent spouses will be those,  whose spouses are  H-1B nonimmigrants and are the principal beneficiaries of an approved Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker ; or have been granted H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000. The Act permits H-1B nonimmigrants seeking lawful permanent residence to work and remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit on their H-1B status.

Eligible H-4 dependent spouses must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with supporting evidence and the required $380 fee in order to obtain employment authorization and receive a Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
USCIS will begin accepting applications on May 26, 2015. Once USCIS approves the Form I-765 and the H-4 dependent spouse receives an EAD, he or she may begin working in the United States.

USCIS reminds those potentially eligible that this rule is not considered effective until May 26, 2015. Individuals should not submit an application to USCIS before the effective date.

For USCIS announcement click below