Saturday, August 25, 2012

Duty


I prefer a life of simplicity.  I hardly care where I live, what I drive, or what I wear.

I was thinking of how to make my life simpler and I think there is no way to do that.
 
My life is so involved in my employees and my students, there is no way I can simply leave and live a simpler life.  My dereliction of duty will affect so many other people, I could not do that.  I do not want my needs or wants to affect people negatively that rely on me.
 
So I will keep the businesses growing and keep working hard and the dream of simplicity will be just that, a dream.

I was reading an article about two friends that sold their company for hundreds of millions.  One friend retired immediately and started traveling the world.  The other friend started another company and kept working.  His friend asked him why, and he said, he felt a sense of duty to his employees that were let go when they sold the company and he started another company not to make more money, but because he knew he could help his employees make a living.

I loved that story.  It would be easy for me to sell all my interests in everything that I own and live comfortably for the rest of my life.  But I will not do that, because I do feel a great sense of duty to my employees, students and my business partners.  I know that as long as I am in charge we will be successful and that success is good for everybody involved with me.